THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Museum Exhibit Specialist 1 (Preparation/Fabrication), Grade 15 (CSEA-Operational)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Museum Exhibit Specialist 1 (Preparation/Fabrication) position in the New York State Museum’s (NYSM) Exhibition Unit. Under the direction of the Museum Exhibit Specialist 2, the Museum Exhibit Specialist 1 (Preparation/Fabrication) will support exhibit construction and installation, object mounting, art handling, and assist with transport of exhibits and exhibit components. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Construct and install exhibit architecture and elements, such as cases, bases, mounts, and walls;
- Produce specialized exhibit elements, as designed, and complete painting and/or finishes for galleries, furniture, and other exhibit components;
- Handle art and artifacts for internal and external entities;
- Prepare objects, specimens, art, and artifacts, and complete framing work for paper and photographs;
- Install exhibit graphics, including vinyl cuttings, printed graphics, and other signs, for NYSM exhibitions and programs;
- Collaborate with other NYSM staff to install and maintain exhibits in the galleries by rebuilding and repairing worn or broken exhibit components;
- Assist in the transport and uncrating of works of art received for temporary exhibition and observe security precautions and approved techniques for fine art and artifact handling;
- Fabricate and pack shipping containers to house traveling exhibits, artifacts, and specimens for travel both locally and around the United States; and
- Participate in the preparation of exhibits for installation and/or travel and provide assistance in the movement of crates and cases to and from secure storage within the NYSM, as well as on and off trucks.
Candidates must have four years of experience in exhibit fabrication, art handling and object preparation within or for a cultural institution including museums, performing arts organizations, higher education institutions, and interpretive sites. A maximum of two years of appropriate training may substitute for the work experience on a year-for-year basis.
This will be a contingent permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work history and training will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $63,705 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 27, 2021 to email@example.com (email applications are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1230/27613) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.