THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Mobility Instructor, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Mobility Instructor position in the New York State School for the Blind. The incumbent of this position will perform duties that are instructional in nature and deliver mandated services to students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Administer Orientation and Mobility (O&M) evaluations, assessments and establish appropriate Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals;
- Instruct students with visual impairments in skills and knowledge that enable them to travel independently based on the IEP goals established;
- Teach students to travel with proficiency, safety, and confidence in familiar and unfamiliar environments;
- Prepare sequential and meaningful instruction geared to the student’s assessed needs, IEP goals and objectives, functioning level, and motivation level;
- Prepare and use equipment and materials including tactile maps, models, optical devices, pre-canes, GPS devices, and long canes for the development of (O&M) skills; and
- Prepare reports with documentation based on evaluations, assessments and progress monitoring.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Mobility Instructor. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Mobility Instructor, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a bachelor's or higher degree in Orientation and Mobility OR a bachelor's or higher degree in any field AND successful completion of courses that specifically address anatomy of the eye and low vision, psycho-social aspects of visual impairment, medical aspects of disability, methods in orientation and mobility, and a practicum, field work, or internship in Orientation and Mobility OR current certification as a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals OR a National Orientation and Mobility Certification from the National Blindness Professional Certification Board. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Mobility Instructor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Mobility Instructor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree, transcripts, and/or certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates that meet the minimum qualifications of Mobility Instructor via certification are required to possess certification as a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals or a National Orientation and Mobility Certification from the National Blindness Professional Certification Board at the time of hire. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 24, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-326/00158) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.