THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Library Development Specialist 2, Grade 27 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education (OCE) is seeking candidates for a Library Development Specialist 2 position within the New York State Library. Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner for Libraries and the State Librarian, the incumbent of this position will function as the team leader for the Division of Library Development’s Public Library System Services team. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide leadership for statewide programs serving 23 public library systems and some 756 public libraries with more than 1,000 outlets;
- Provide leadership for the $34 million State Aid for Library Construction Program and the statewide library programs for special populations including outreach services, reading, literacy and youth services initiatives;
- Develop and manage statewide library programs and services in cooperation with libraries, library systems, and State and federal agencies;
- Prepare program plans, work with advisory groups, interpret programs, secure institutional commitments, and coordinate program implementation and evaluation, including statewide communications and advocacy efforts;
- Provide high-level consultant expertise in library and library system governance matters, and oversee the monitoring of local library and library system compliance with laws, regulations, and guidelines;
- Develop funding proposals with outside organizations and other State or federal agencies, and oversee administration and evaluation of such programs;
- Handle complex public policy, legal and program-related questions and concerns sent to NYSED and to the Regents from the general public, the media, local and State officials, the Legislature, and others about libraries and library systems;
- Represent the State Library, OCE, and NYSED to both internal and external groups; and
- Supervise staff, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Library Development Specialist 2.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of the New York State Education Department and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a Library Development Specialist 1. Provisional candidates must take the examination for the Library Development Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Library Development Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $111,316 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 1, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1226/24804) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.