THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Legal Assistant 1, Grade 14 (CSEA-Admin)
Legal Assistant Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Legal Assistant 1 position in the Office of State Review (OSR). The incumbent of this position will assist the New York State Review Officer (SRO) in reviewing appealed decisions of impartial hearing officers concerning the identification, evaluation, program, or placement of children who have, or are suspected of having, an educational disability. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organize and conduct an initial review of documents for accuracy, compliance with Part 279, and completeness and prepare summary for supervisory staff;
- Provide telephone assistance to parties with questions regarding compliance with appeal procedures in Part 279;
- Review and organize documents and other evidence submitted by parties into appeal files;
- Open and close and archive appeal files and update computerized docket database or case management/electronic filing system accordingly;
- Prepare, review and edit legal correspondence as directed or authorized by legal staff;
- Assist legal and educator staff members with proof reading and editing of final draft decisions to SRO, ensuring that the draft decisions meet legal citation, record citation, and accessibility requirements;
- Gather complete information, including fiscal and statistical data, from a variety of sources and prepare preliminary analysis;
- Identify significant state or Federal legislation affecting education programs;
- Prepare record certification documents for judicial review of administrative records;
- Assist legal staff with tracking pending litigation using through electronic research databases, independently research and track status of pending cases under litigation in U.S. District Courts alerting all pertinent staff members of status; and
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as Legal Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment to Legal Assistant 1: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Legal Assistant 1 eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Legal Assistant Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-09 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Legal Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess an associate’s degree or higher in a paralegal/legal assistance program OR a certificate in a paralegal/legal assistant program where either the degree or certificate was granted from a regionally accredited college or university, or college or university accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) or one approved by the American Bar Association (ABA). For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree or paralegal/legal assistant program certificate will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
***This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Legal Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Legal Assistant Trainee 1, starts at $41,953 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary. Prior to completing the traineeship, candidates appointed to Legal Assistant Trainee 1 will be required to successfully complete** six courses in paralegal studies and related skills from an accredited college or university. In addition, one or more college or training courses in writing skills will be required. Failure to complete the required courses during the traineeship will result in removal from employment in the Legal Assistant Trainee title.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $60,371 based on annual performance advances.
**Individuals may have already completed some or all of the required coursework before their initial appointment to the Legal Assistant Trainee 1 title.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 11, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-542/19360) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.