THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Janitor, Grade 7 (CSEA-Operational)
Hours and Location 2:00pm– 10:00pm, Monday through Friday, Cultural Education Center
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services is seeking candidates for a Janitor position in the Office of Facilities and Business Services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage a program of systematic cleaning and care of assigned building areas in accordance with established guidelines;
- Plan and schedule staff assignments and cleaning services;
- Reassign staff to ensure that work is accomplished according to schedule, and that staff is fully utilized;
- Evaluate and make recommendations for equipment, changes in cleaning methods, and work performance standards to ensure a more effective and efficient cleaning program;
- Prepare the annual equipment, supplies, and personnel budget for the custodial operation;
- Manage the custodial program inventory system, including the requisitioning and proper distribution of new cleaning equipment and supplies;
- Provide oral and written instructions to staff for requested special cleaning services which may include the development of training material to comply with sustainability directives;
- Inspect buildings and assigned areas for compliance with cleaning guidelines;
- Review complaints of unsatisfactory cleaning performance and take corrective action, as appropriate;
- Oversee unskilled maintenance and repairs to buildings and equipment;
- Review and prepare periodic reports, such as work activity, cost reports, and staff utilization and requirements and advise management on custodial operations; and
- Manage the arrangement of premises for public meetings, classes, graduations, and special events by directing the movement and placement of seating and other equipment as specified by the event coordinator.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position and to communicate effectively to obtain and convey information.
This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday (2:00pm – 10:00pm).
* Leads to a maximum salary of $41,555 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-512/01648) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.