THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Substitute), NS (PEF)
(2021 Summer School session only: July 12, 2021 - August 20, 2021)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for three Instructor (Substitute) positions at the New York State School for the Blind for the 2021 summer school session. Duties of these positions will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide specially designed instruction to students with disabilities;
- Teach socially acceptable behaviors, and employ techniques such as behavior modifications and positive reinforcements;
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities;
- Instruct students via lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in different subject areas that provide students the opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory and perceptual motor skills, language, cognition, and memory;
- Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self-advocacy;
- Supervise Special Education Assistants; and
- Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education AND the ability to perform moderate lifting of children AND the ability to assist students with personal care needs.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired and;
- Experience and training in the areas of orientation and mobility or Braille.
These will be temporary, hourly positions. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Verification of degree and/or transcripts and New York State teaching certification in Special Education will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a New York State teaching certificate in Special Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor (Substitute) is dependent upon maintaining a New York State teaching certificate in Special Education. Failure to maintain a current New York State teaching certification in Special Education will result in removal from employment. The work schedule for these positions will be Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 3:00pm.
*The hourly rates listed will be used for the 2021 summer school session ONLY. The hourly rates for Instructor (Substitutes) who work during the regular school year are $22.56/hr. to $26.26/hr. (depending on qualifications).
Recruitments will continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (NYSSB – Summer Instructor) of the position in all correspondence and in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.