THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Instructor (Substitute), NS (PEF)
(For 2019 summer school session only - July 8, 2019 through August 16, 2019)
The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking candidates for two Instructor (substitute) positions for the 2019 summer school session. Duties of these positions will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare educational reports;
- Teach socially acceptable behaviors, and employ techniques such as behavior modifications and positive reinforcements;
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities;
- Confer with parents, administrators, and other professionals to develop Individualized Education Programs designed to promote students’ educational, physical and social development;
- Instruct students via lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in different subject areas that provide students the opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory and perceptual motor skills, language, cognition and memory;
- Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self-advocacy;
- Supervise Special Education Assistants; and
- Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess valid New York State teaching certification in Special Education AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI); and
- Experience and training in the areas of orientation and mobility or Braille.
These will be temporary, hourly positions. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts and New York State teaching certification in Special Education will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess New York State teaching certification in Special Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor (substitute) is dependent upon maintaining New York State teaching certification in Special Education. Candidates with an Initial New York State teaching certification in Special Education will be required to obtain a Permanent New York State teaching certification in Special Education prior to the expiration of the Initial New York State teaching certification in Special Education. Failure to maintain a New York State teaching certification in Special Education will result in removal from employment. The work schedule for these positions will be July 8, 2019 through August 16, 2019.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by June 5, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-330) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.