THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Speech), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Speech) position in the New York State School for the Blind (NYSSB). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Administer and interpret standardized speech/language assessments;
- Write speech-language reports/generate recommendations;
- Ensure an appropriate IEP is established and all mandates fulfilled;
- Deliver speech-language services addressing receptive/expressive communication, feeding/swallowing disorders, augmentative/alternative communication, assistive technology, voice/fluency, and/or articulation/phonology and conduct activities for students to enhance development of speech/language skills in areas of need;
- Collect and record data measuring student progress;
- Establish a weekly schedule ensuring that all speech-language caseload mandates are met;
- Assist in Home-Residential-Health Center-School communication and program consistency;
- Perform other Behavioral and Health and Safety Standards as defined in the employee handbook; and
- Perform any other duties as requested by supervisor.
Candidates must possess a New York State teaching certification in Teacher of the Speech and Hearing Handicapped (TSHH) OR a New York State teaching certification in Speech and Language Disabilities OR be licensed as a New York State Speech-Language Pathologist.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with a NYS licensure in Speech Pathology.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification/licensure will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a New York State teaching certification in TSHH/Speech and Language Disabilities or a license in NYS Speech-Language Pathology at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor (Speech) is dependent upon maintaining a New York State teaching certification in TSHH/Speech and Language Disabilities or a license in NYS Speech-Language Pathology. Failure to maintain a New York State teaching certification in TSHH/Speech and Language Disabilities or a license in NYS Speech-Language Pathology will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position will be Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 3:30pm.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $67,495 - $86,057 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 22, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-416/00131) of the position in all correspondence and in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.