THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
THE NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (Physical Education), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (Physical Education) position at the New York State School for the Deaf. Duties of these positions will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide Physical Education instruction to all students, in pre-school through grade 12, using alternative learning techniques in a multidisciplinary approach and following the NYS standards;
- Serve as a member of the multi-disciplinary team and communicate effectively with the support and related services team;
- Develop and oversee physical education events (i.e. field day, tournaments, and swimming) and;
- Oversee the NYS School for the Deaf swimming program for students in pre-school through grade 12.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess a valid NYS Teaching Certificate in Physical Education.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language or willingness to learn;
- Experience working with special needs students, particularly students who are deaf or hard of hearing;
- Certified lifeguard, CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Health Education Certification
- Coaching Certifications
This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a NYS Teaching Certificate in Physical Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor is dependent upon maintaining a NYS Teaching Certificate in Physical Education. Failure to maintain a NYS Teaching Certificate in Physical Education will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System.The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday (7:45am - 3:30pm) and Tuesday through Friday (7:30am – 3:15pm).
*Leads to a maximum salary $73,058-$93,156 with annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-372/00113) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.