THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor (English as a New Language), NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Instructor (ENL) position in the New York State School for the Blind. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare educational reports;
- Teach socially acceptable behaviors and employ techniques such as behavior modifications and positive reinforcements;
- Prepare instruction materials to support stand-alone and classroom activities;
- Confer with parents, administrators, and other professionals to support the development of Individualized Education Programs designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social development;
- Instruct students via lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in different subject areas that provide students the opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
- Employ educational strategies to support the advancement of ENL students’ performance on the New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT)
- Teach personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self-advocacy;
- Supervise Special Education Assistants as needed; and
- Perform other duties as requested by the Head of Department.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) AND the ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- NYS certification in literacy
- NYS certification in special education
This will be a permanent, 10-month appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and a valid NYS teaching certificate in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a valid NYS teaching certificate in ESOL at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor (ENL) is dependent upon maintaining a valid NYS teaching certificate in ESOL. Failure to maintain a valid NYS teaching certificate in ESOL will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 3:00pm.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,628 - $91,323 through annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 4, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-407/00129) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.