THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The New York State School for the Deaf
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor, NS (PEF)
The NYS Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking an Instructor (Special Education Teacher/Teacher of the Deaf. Duties of this position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Instruct students in an academic subject area;
- Prepare daily lesson plans, learning units and instructional materials based on curriculum standards, course outlines and associated assessments developed by the State Education Department;
- Conduct classroom instruction using current teaching methods, observations and facilitation as well as computer technology skills, audiovisual equipment, and group projects as appropriate;
- Observe and evaluate instructor assistants assigned to the class, prepare written expectations;
- Serve as an evaluator and site visitor to programs and placements as they relate to students applying to the School for the Deaf from other districts;
- Evaluate and assess student progress and involvement in the learning process through classroom observation, administering tests, correcting work assignments and using grading systems such as rubrics;
- Classroom management and maintaining order and discipline in the classroom and elsewhere on campus, supervise after-school detention as required;
- Assist students in reaching personal responsibility goals as defined in their Individual Education Program (IEPs);
- Prepare evaluation reports, report cards and deficiency notices; writing quarterly progress reports and IEPs for all students; maintaining daily attendance records;
- Participating in departmental staff, parent and multidisciplinary team meetings and meetings of various committees to discuss students’ learning progress, behavior, needs and other problems related to education;
- Perform training, intake evaluation, testing, curriculum or supervision in specific areas of special expertise, learning disabilities (special needs), career preparation, work-study programs, vocation assessment and student personal guidance, as assigned; and
- Prepare students for assessments, including RCTs and Regents exams, and for transition to post-secondary education or the work force.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education OR have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess a valid NYS Teacher of the Deaf certificate.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Experience working with special needs students particularly deaf or hard of hearing;
- Ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language;
- Additional teaching certificates;
- Experience working with adults as part of a team.
This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess a NYS teaching certificate in Special Education OR a NYS Teacher of the Deaf certificate at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor is dependent upon maintaining a NYS teaching certificate in Special Education OR a NYS Teacher of the Deaf certificate. Failure to maintain a NYS teaching certificate in Special Education OR a NYS Teacher of the Deaf certificate will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday (7:45am - 3:30pm) and Tuesday through Friday (7:30am – 3:15pm).
*Leads to a maximum salary of $67,495 - $86,057 based on annual performance advances and education level.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-276/00130) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.