THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The New York State School for the Deaf
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor, NS (PEF)
The NYS Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking candidates for an Instructor position as a Guidance/School Counselor. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review students’ educational transcripts and participate on the scheduling committee to determine what classes the student needs to fulfill graduation requirements;
- Work collaboratively with the administration and staff at NYSSD to assist the students in reaching their personal responsibility goals as defined in their Individual Education Program (IEP);
- Work collaboratively with the transition team to assist with the transition of services for students into ACCES-VR and/or work placements after graduation;
- Provide a focus on skills needed to become college and career ready;
- Process all career employability paperwork to achieve career credentials for CDOS; and
- Oversee the on-campus work study program.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or higher AND possess a valid NYS Teaching Certificate AND a valid Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) Certificate OR a bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS Teaching Certificate AND a valid Certification in Special Education.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing;
- The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language; and
- Experience working with special needs students particularly deaf or hard of hearing.
This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree/transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a NYS Teaching Certificate AND a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) Certificate/Certification in Special Education at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Instructor is dependent upon maintaining a NYS Teaching Certificate AND a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) Certificate/Certification in Special Education. Failure to maintain a NYS Teaching Certificate AND a Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) Certificate/Certification in Special Education will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday (7:45am - 3:30pm) and Tuesday through Friday (7:30am – 3:15pm).
*Leads to a maximum salary $67,495-$86,057 with annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-275/00127) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.