THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The New York State School for the Deaf
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor, NS (PEF)
The NYS Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking candidates for an Instructor position. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direct instruction to students who are deaf and/or hard of hearing;
- Provide direct instruction in English, reading, writing, math, science, or social studies;
- Provide academic intervention services for students in need;
- Consult with teachers on successful strategies used to increase student content knowledge;
- Consult with teachers and administrators on developing action plans based on data driven decision making;
- Maintain a safe learning environment for students;
- Assist in the development of goals for individualized education plans;
- Collaborate with educational team to provide a focus on skills needed to become college and career ready;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the common core and the shifts as they pertain to elementary instruction; and
- Adhere to the policies and procedures of the school in relation to securing students.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, possess a valid NYS Teaching Certificate, and possess a valid Teacher of the Deaf Certificate OR have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, possess a valid NYS Teaching Certificate, and possess a valid Certification in Special Education.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing;
- Multiple Certifications in Special Education;
- The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language; and
- Experience working with deaf students.
This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday (7:45am - 3:30pm) and Tuesday through Friday (7:30am – 3:15pm). Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary $67,495-$86,057 with annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (RDC-239/00111) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.