THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming), Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking applicants for an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming) position. The incumbent of this position will support NYSED’s enterprise class server and storage environment which hosts strategic applications and systems. The incumbent will plan and manage complex technology projects, including coordinating with various ITS technical units, NYSED program offices, other New York State agencies, and vendors. The incumbent will also perform advanced technical work for the above-mentioned projects and for the routine maintenance of NYSED’s computing and storage environment. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and execute detailed technical project plans for operating system and other enterprise system software upgrades;
- Develop and execute detailed technical project plans for the maintenance and implementation of core infrastructure, including storage area network (SAN) infrastructure, backup/recovery infrastructure, and virtual server infrastructure;
- Develop and document server and software architecture for delivery of strategic NYSED systems;
- Perform patching, system maintenance, system tuning, performance analysis, and capacity planning for servers (Windows, AIX Unix, SUSE Linux), Virtual server environment (VMWARE, LPAR, WPAR), storage infrastructure (Brocade), and backup/recovery infrastructure (Data Domain, Networker);
- Perform advanced troubleshooting and problem correction;
- Architect and build systems utilizing a wide array of modern technologies to meet Department needs, including cloud technologies (SAAS, PAAS, IAAS), data replication technologies, and onsite platforms;
- Monitor the server environment to detect security events and take corrective action;
- Provide advanced technical guidance to ITS developers; and
- Supervise lower-level systems programmers.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Chief Computer Operator, Information Technology Specialist 3, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), Information Technology Specialist 4, Information Technology Specialist 4 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database), or Information Technology Specialist 4 (Operations).
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position requires occasional off-shift night and weekend work.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $100,645 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 22, 2018 to email@example.com. (Email submissions preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-285) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.