THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database), Grade 25 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database) position in the Information Technology Services office. This Office collaborates with multiple IT teams and business users to support data analysis and transformation tasks that are critical to the implementation and operation of a cloud-hosted and vendor-developed and maintained enterprise Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Case Management system (CMS). This solution will offer the NYSED Adult Career and Continuing Education Services division and their consumers a modern system for VR case management and other mission critical services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with the CMS contractor to understand the database structure of the new CMS system;
- Research, recommend, and implement data conversion and ETL tools to assist in data migration for NYSED systems that require data transformation;
- Design and perform data cleansing and transformation tasks as necessary;
- Serve as data analyst and vendor liaison for new or changed data requirements across systems;
- Provide data integration support between third-party systems and other Department databases and applications;
- Assist with any database-related troubleshooting required for the solution;
- Provide expert support for data analysis and decision support uses of the VR database;
- Participate in release and change management activities over the life of solutions to ensure updates and enhancements are implemented with minimal issues and disruptions to IT services;
- Train and supervise subordinates on tools, systems, and best practices used for data conversion/ETL;
- Utilize department standards in relation to code versioning, documentation, and work tracking: Git, Confluence, and Jira respectively; and,
- Maintain technical documentation.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Excellent data analysis and data modeling skills.
- Experience with Extract, Transformation and Load (ETL) tools, such as Talend.
- Ability to work well as part of a results-driven team and support database and analytics platforms effectively.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people at both a functional and technical level and effectively communicate at a level appropriate to the audience.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work history will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $111,111 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 1, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-567/60205) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.