THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database), Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database) position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will serve as a data analyst and conversion specialist to multiple IT teams and business users to support data analysis and transformation tasks that are critical to the implementation and operation of a cloud-hosted and vendor-developed and maintained enterprise Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Case Management system (CMS). This solution will offer NYSED’s Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) division and their consumers a modern system for VR case management and other critical services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with the CMS contractor to understand the database structure of the new CMS system;
- Analyze the existing CMS database to understand and document the data elements;
- Work with the CMS contractor to map fields between the old and new systems and determine transformations that may be required;
- Research, recommend, and implement data conversion and Extract, Transformation and Load (ETL) tools to assist in data migration, including but not limited to, the CMS application databases;
- Design and perform data cleansing and transformation tasks, as needed;
- Review vendor backup, restoration, data security, and disaster recovery standards and processes for alignment with SED standards;
- Develop and execute procedures for maintenance of test and training data;
- Serve as data analyst and vendor liaison for new or changed data requirements;
- Provide integration support between the CMS VR platform and other Department databases and applications;
- Assist with any database-related troubleshooting required for the solution;
- Provide expert support for data analysis and decision support uses of the VR database;
- Participate in release and change management activities over the life of the solution to ensure updates and enhancements are implemented with minimal issues and disruptions to IT services; and
- Maintain technical documentation, as required.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Excellent data analysis and data modeling skills;
- Experience with ETL tools;
- Ability to work well as part of a results-driven team and support database and analytics platforms effectively; and
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people at both a functional and technical level and effectively communicate at a level appropriate to the audience.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 3, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-421/51869) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.