THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 4, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 4 position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS) and Educational Technology (Ed Tech). This Office is responsible for New York State’s data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring the Department’s data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability through various secure online applications. The Office is also responsible for coordinating the policies and supports necessary for the successful integration of educational technology. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide critical Information Technology skills needed to work and employ systems critical to ensuring accurate, valid and reliable data on students and teachers;
- Collaborate with multiple IT and program offices to construct, implement and support IRS platforms;
- Provide vision and leadership for the secure collection and reporting of P-20 data, such as individual student data, educator data, aggregate school and district data, and aggregate higher education data;
- Provide guidance on the collection, evaluation, and implementation of all educational data including the data management work of various program offices throughout the agency that have programmatic responsibility for education data reporting;
- Assist the Director of Educational Data and Research to lead multiple teams to deliver field facing applications to streamline data collection and reporting;
- Manage and delegate workflow of IT staff across all application areas for the collection and reporting of federal and State reporting requirements for P-12 and higher education in New York State;
- Develop and monitor the development of technical specifications for application enhancements;
- Collaborate with ITS, IRS, Program Office teams and architects to communicate new application features, enhancements; requests for building, implementing and supporting independent application platforms and building, implementing and supporting applications between mutually interacting products, services and systems;
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to review data collection and reporting needs to effectively develop, implement, evaluate and maintain data collection and reporting platforms to meet all State and federal reporting requirements.
- Create, monitor and maintain formal communication, programming documentation, detailed technical plans and schedules to roll out overall solution changes and application releases effectively; and
- Lead, collaborate, or serve in any additional duty or capacity as directed by senior management.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 4 Civil Service Eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent-permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 29, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1955/01757) of the position in the subject line of your cover letter and email to ensure receipt of your application.