THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 4, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 4 position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will be responsible for coordinating IT activities in the Application Modernization Unit, including the implementation of a service-oriented architecture and improving the software development approach that ITS takes when developing new applications. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, document, and oversee the implementation of new features and functionality for several business-critical applications within the Application Modernization Unit;
- Assist with the design and implementation of a Service-Oriented Architecture that will drive application development within ITS;
- Research, document, and implement best practices and technologies for application development throughout ITS;
- Coordinate with Senior Management, DevOps, and the Enterprise Architecture Committee to implement new practices, technologies, and procedures;
- Ensure all applications in the Unit are using the appropriate tools for application development, including Git, JIRA, Confluence documentation, and continuous delivery as defined by the Enterprise Architecture Committee;
- Plan and implement an approach to breaking up existing monolithic applications into services; and
- Develop technical, supervisory, and leadership skills for self and subordinates.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 4 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 4: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 4: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position requires occasional off-shift night and weekend work.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 4, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-397/01752) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.