THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for two Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming) positions in the Office of Information and Reporting Services. This Office is responsible for New York State’s (NYS) data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring NYSED data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for NYS P-12 and Higher Education. The incumbents of these positions will provide the Information Technology (IT) skills needed to conduct work and employ systems critical to ensuring that accurate, valid and reliable data on students and teachers is collected, maintained and reported. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain IT systems, involving new analysis and development, troubleshooting, testing, and deployment;
- Collaborate with program office and other agency IT staff to design responsive user interfaces and determine, understand, and implement business requirements for web applications;
- Plan, document, and oversee the implementation of new features and functionality for several business-critical applications;
- Research best practices and technologies to assist with the design and implementation of a Service-Oriented Architecture that will drive application development;
- Ensure appropriate tools are used for application development, including Git, JIRA, and Confluence documentation;
- Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet NYSED standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices, and
- Supervise and mentor lower level IT staff in the Office of Information and Reporting Services.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
Knowledge and practical experience programming in PHP and/or Java.
Knowledge and practical experience with Foundation and/or Bootstrap CSS frameworks.
Knowledge and experience with the design, implementation, and usage of a database.
Knowledge and experience with a Model-View-Controller (MVC) web application and/or service-oriented architecture.
These will be contingent permanent appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 18, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box numbers (see list below) of the positions in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.