THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), Grade 23 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming) position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will work as a member of the application development team in an environment committed to implementing progressive technologies. The incumbent will work as a member of the application development team, provide content and collaboration support for NYSED applications, and develop Information Technology (IT) solutions to support NYSED business needs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain and enhance UNISYS mainframe applications and demonstrate proficiency with COBOL programming and the use of CANDE and WFL;
- Perform system design analysis and develop custom application code;
- Collaborate with program office and IT staff to understand the business requirements of the legacy applications;
- Participate in systems analysis discussions, including requirements definition, and prototyping of proposed solutions;
- Analyze the impact of proposed modifications on existing components of the system;
- Identify and troubleshoot system errors, as well as implement the necessary solutions;
- Create system test plans, execute user acceptance testing, assist with end user training related to new or existing technology systems;
- Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices and security standards;
- Develop project plans for system enhancements and provide project status reports to project stakeholders; and
- Supervise and mentor Information Technology staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Knowledge and experience programming in COBOL and XGEN;
- Knowledge and experience with database structures including UNISYS DMSII and KEYEDIO II; and
- Knowledge and experience with reporting tools such as EZSPEC and COGNOS.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 31, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-413/01750) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.