THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming), Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for two Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) positions in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). This Office is responsible for New York State’s (NYS) data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring NYSED data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for NYS P-12 and Higher Education. The incumbents of these position will provide the Information Technology (IT) skills needed to conduct work and employ systems critical to ensuring that accurate, valid and reliable data on students and teachers is collected, maintained and reported. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and maintain Information Technology (IT) systems written in JAVA, PL/SQL, SQL, HTML, PHP, CSS, and JS. This includes new analysis and development, troubleshooting, testing, and deployment;
- Collaborate with program office and IT staff to understand the business requirements of the information systems;
- Analyze and recommend system modifications based on program office business requirements;
- Coordinate data exchanges between the Department’s education systems;
- Identify and troubleshoot problems and implement necessary solutions;
- Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices, so as to foster the integrity of data and automated systems; and
- Prepare materials and create web pages for electronic publication.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Knowledge and practical experience with SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Management Console software, writing queries and analyzing data from large data sets.
- Knowledge and practical experience working with the collection and reporting of student-level data.
- Knowledge, proficiency, and practical experience programming in JAVA, PL/SQL, C++, C#, and JS technologies, as well as the Oracle database and UNIX operating environments.
P12-2187 will be a contingent permanent appointment and P12-2213 will be a permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $77,912 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 16, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2187/44265 and P12-2213/03274) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.