THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming), Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) position within the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the participation in a variety of activities related to the on-going support, enhancement and maintenance of Oracle Human Resources Management Systems, NYSED data marts, Oracle, and non-Oracle financial systems. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in analysis and design sessions;
- Collaborate with the Office of Human Resources Management to identify required system modifications and design new reports;
- Analyze the impact of proposed modifications on existing components of the system and implement the needed modifications;
- Ability to code, test and debug system application code using SQL, PL/SQL, Java;
- Identify and troubleshoot problems as well as implement the necessary solutions;
- Assist in the design, development and maintenance of SED data marts;
- Develop and maintain reports using one or more data sources; and
- Assure systems and procedures are appropriately documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices, so as to foster the integrity of automated systems and the data therein.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming). If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming): Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess:
- Knowledge and experience with programming in SQL, PL/SQL and Java;
- Knowledge and understanding of Oracle databases and data marts; and
- Knowledge and experience with application development, analysis, design, programming and documentation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 1,2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-460/51834) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.