THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming), Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's (NYSED) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) position. The incumbent of this position will work as a member of the application development team, provide programming support for NYSED's enterprise applications, and develop Information Technology (IT) solutions to support the business needs of the NYSED. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Write computer programs based on developed and approved program specifications, including but not limited to, the Java programming language;
- Develop, modify, and implement responsive and accessible web-based applications;
- Collaborate with program office and IT staff to understand the business requirements of the information systems;
- Analyze and recommend system modifications, and determine the impact of proposed changes;
- Identify and troubleshoot problems and implement necessary solutions;
- Conduct unit and integration testing of application components;
- Assist with system maintenance activities;
- Work closely with IT technical unit staff to conduct business systems analysis and design; and
- Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards and follow generally accepted IT practices.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming). If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming), you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Knowledge and practical experience programming in Java, PL/SQL, and SQL;
- Knowledge and experience with Oracle Databases.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 27, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-387/51809) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.