THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming), Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services. This Office is responsible for the collection and reporting of student and educator data for school districts, public schools, and nonpublic schools in New York State. The incumbent of this position will fulfill data requests from internal program offices and the public, create reports for secure data sharing with districts and schools, and manage the quality control checking of data for the team responsible for the development of New York State Report Cards, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) accountability, and Demonstrable Improvement for the identification of Receivership schools. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform coding, testing, and debugging activities;
- Plan and conduct application programming design;
- Implement new and revised systems and maintain systems after implementation;
- Conduct or assist in business/systems analysis and design;
- Collect, process, analyze, and interpret data following analytical methods;
- Quality control check data in tables, code, and reports to ensure accuracy, identify trends, and highlight significant deltas;
- Analyze and interpret statistical data to identify significant differences in relationships among sources of information, providing summaries and trends in data and any factors that could affect the results of research;
- Create reports for data verification and information sharing;
- Proficiently use data analytic software, such as MS ACCESS, Toad, SAS Enterprise Guide, SQL, and Excel.;
- Document data analysis, quality control, and report creation processes;
- Communicate both orally and in writing with staff within the team, agency, and program office, as well as with technical specialists in other program offices;
- Provide support for projects, obtain and validate information, check conclusions, and resolve problems;
- Provide technical assistance to schools, local educational agencies, other public or private agencies, professional groups, and parents; and
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Candidates should have experience with SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Management Console software, writing queries and analyzing data from large data sets, experience working with the collection and reporting of student-level data. Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess a high level of knowledge, proficiency and practical experience programming in JAVA, PL/SQL, C++, C#, JS technologies as well as the Oracle database and UNIX operating environments.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 24, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1917/51825) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.