THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) , Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for the position of Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). This Office is responsible for the collection and reporting of student and educator data for school districts, public schools, charter schools, and nonpublic schools in New York State. In doing so, the IRS office provides technical assistance and end-user support for several online applications, including but not limited to, online documentation, web resources, help desk, and online tools. Under the general direction of an Information Technology Specialist 3, the incumbent in this position will employ systems critical to ensuring that accurate, valid and reliable educational data is collected, maintained and reported. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and maintain Information Technology (IT) systems written in JAVA, PL/SQL, HTML, PHP, CSS, and JS. This includes new analysis and development, troubleshooting, testing, and deployment;
• Collaborate with program office and IT staff to understand the business requirements of the information systems;
• Analyze and recommend system modifications based on program office business requirements;
• Coordinate data exchanges between the Department’s education systems;
• Identify and troubleshoot problems and implement necessary solutions;
• Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices, so as to foster the integrity of data and automated systems;
• Assist school districts, BOCES, Regional Information Centers, and higher education institutions with technology issues associated with the use of IRS applications;
• Develop automated systems and methods that streamline IRS application support;
• Prepare written summaries of technical problems encountered by the field;
• Prepare written instructions, including web pages, to explain features of hardware and software; and
• Prepare materials and create web pages for electronic publication.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess a high level of knowledge, proficiency and practical experience programming in JAVA, PL/SQL, HTML, CSS and JS technologies as well as the Oracle database and UNIX operating environments.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1833/02021) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.