THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 position to serve the Office of Cultural Education. This Office consists of the State Library, State Museum, State Archives, the Office of Educational Television & Public Broadcasting, and the New York State Summer School for the Arts. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with staff to support highly specific hardware and software configurations and provide specialized support for public applications on the public floors of the library, archives, and museum;
- Respond to customer calls for computer-related problems at the Cultural Education Center via phone, remote control, or in-person desk visit, collaborating with other ITS staff to analyze and resolve problems, as needed;
- Create work orders via the Footprints system and provide updated inventory data;
- Perform add/change/delete work order requests for software, equipment, repair, new employees, transfers, and staff moves, including identifying and copying user data from old to new computer;
- Perform the unpacking, configuration/setup, collecting/recycling and delivery/deployment of new and old computer equipment, coordinate with office staff receiving new computers and move computer equipment for staff and office relocations;
- Install and configure software and other upgrades according to NYSED standards from NYSED servers and supplied images;
- Troubleshoot PC, laptop, printer, and other hardware (scanner, external drive, etc.) problems;
- Analyze office computer needs and make recommendations to NYSED managers on how to deploy or redeploy equipment in the most efficient manner; and
- Evaluate new PC related hardware and software and maintain knowledge to be able to set it up and explain to users at a high-level how to use it.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervising Computer Operator
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $77,912 based on annual performance advances and traineeship advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 5, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-580/22015) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. External links to application materials (i.e. Google Docs) will not be accepted. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.