THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 2 position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services. This Office is responsible for New York State’s (NYS) data collection, management and reporting processes (IRS), including implementing, and monitoring NYSED’s data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for NYS P-12 and Higher Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interpret business rules, as assigned by staff, and implement such rules using code to create databases and data extracts;
- Analyze data stored in systems and databases, code, and reports to ensure accuracy, identify trends, and highlight deltas;
- Perform data analysis, quality control and data verification for information sharing and public reporting of data;
- Proficiently use data analytic software, such as TOAD, SAS Enterprise Guide, MS ACCESS, SQL, and Excel to access data in systems and create files as needed;
- Provide support for projects, obtain and validate information, check conclusions, and resolve problems; and
- Communicate both orally and in writing with IRS team, central IT, other program offices, external requestors, and NYSED consultants.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 2. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervising Computer Operator.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience with SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Management Console software, writing queries and analyzing data from very large data sets;
- Experience working with the collection and reporting of student-level data;
- High level of knowledge, proficiency and practical experience programming in PL/SQL, SAS, and TOAD, as well as the Oracle database;
This will be a permanent appointment. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 18, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2050/01769) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.