THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement and Management Services’ Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking applicants for an Information Technology Specialist 2 position. The incumbent will work as a member of ITS’ Telecommunications Unit. The Telecommunications Unit supports telephone operations at approximately 48 sites throughout New York State, as well as provides technical guidance and oversight of twenty call centers. Major responsibilities of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain NYSED voice communications equipment including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and legacy systems;
- Collaborate with remote site technicians to gather information for VoIP deployments;
- Manage phone moves, adds, and changes for all NYSED locations;
- Serve as a NYSED liaison with all voice equipment and mobile device vendors;
- Request and analyze telecommunication services options and price quotations;
- Coordinate the migration of legacy phone equipment to current technologies;
- Resolve telecommunications billing discrepancies with vendors;
- Work with the helpdesk to troubleshoot any telecom related issues;
- Coordinate phone and computer equipment moves in conjunction with the NYSED Space Planning Office;
- Conduct site visits with vendors and order the installation of cable infrastructure;
- Manage telecommunications services through the use of vendor administrative portals including Verizon and Unite NY;
- Prepare and process orders for cellular wireless equipment;
- Provide technical support for iPhones and other mobile devices;
- Prepare technical documents and forms for users to streamline processes;
- Troubleshoot phone service problems and coordinate with vendors for their resolution; and
- Prepare reports for NYSED management regarding telecommunications usage and costs.
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2.
§52.6 Transfer: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
§70.1 Transfer: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervising Computer Operator.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 2 eligible list may be considered for appointment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $69,182 with annual performance advances.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position requires periodic off-shift and weekend work and occasional day and overnight travel throughout NYS. Candidates from the eligible list will be required to provide verification of degree and/or credentials.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 4, 2017 to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-248/01502) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.