THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 1 (ITS1) position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). This Office is responsible for New York State’s data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring the NYSED data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for P-12 and higher education in New York State. The Office is also responsible for coordinating the policies and state supports necessary for the successful integration of educational technology. Under the general direction of the ITS 3, the ITS 1 incumbent in this position will provide skills needed to conduct work ensuring that accurate, valid, and reliable help desk support on student and teacher data collected, maintained and reported. Duties of this position include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Provide tier 2 support for all applications under the purview of the Office;
- Review business practices and make recommendations for enhancements, to improve quality and efficiency for help desk support;
- Track issues between the customer and the developers;
- Assist in the documentation of systems and business rules;
- Distribute reports and manage permissions to various reporting systems;
- Identify system errors and software bugs, by conducting tests of applications, including development of test plans, test conditions and validation testing;
- Collaborate with Program Office and ITS staff, to implement present and future data collection and reporting initiatives; and
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills while working with department staff, external staff, vendors, and end users.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Information Technology Assistant, Office Assistant 3, or Senior Computer Operator.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 18, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2070/04095) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.