THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Information Technology Specialist 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 1 position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). This Office is the service unit responsible for fulfilling the information processing needs of offices throughout NYSED. The incumbent of this position will work in the ITS Help Desk and Training Unit to provide technology support to over 2,800 NYSED staff. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Answer phone calls and e-mails from NYSED staff/customers reporting technology problems and/or requesting assistance with use of technology products;
- Work with customers to analyze software and hardware problems and arrive at a solution;
- Utilize software tools to assist customers;
- Create written summaries of problems encountered by customers;
- Create written instructions to explain features of computer hardware and software;
- Assist in training activities and prepare course materials, as well as assist with presenting material about computer hardware or software to small groups;
- Research features of new computer hardware and software;
- Prepare material for publication on the Web and create Web pages; and
- Work independently on specified projects.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Information Technology Specialist 1. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-12 or above eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Information Technology Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Assistant or Senior Computer Operator. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 27, 2019 to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-416/01773) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.