THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Food Service Worker 3, Grade 13 (CSEA-Inst)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Food Service Worker 3 position at the New York State School for the Blind. The Food Service Worker 3 will function as a working supervisor in food preparation and food service activities. Duties of this position will include:
- Direct and oversee food-service-management activities;
- Prepare budget requests within required time frames and established purchasing guidelines;
- Submit requisitions and manage food service activities per the submitted requisitions, unless there is an unexpected purchase;
- Prepare for food expenditures by tracking the items that need to be bought and/or replaced;
- Order and track expenditures within the budget plan;
- Determine if any additional training is required, including travel to and from the trainings, and participate in employee training, as required;
- Determine if special food requirements or additional services will be needed for the school year;
- Lift up to 60 pounds in performance of assigned tasks, as required.
Eligible List Appointment to Food Service Worker 3: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Food Service Worker 3: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title salary grade 16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment to Food Service Worker 3: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or permanent 55-b/55-c service as a Food Service Worker 2. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Food Service Worker 3 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Experience in supervision;
- Ability to complete reports, paperwork and time sheets;
- Experience with portion-control techniques;
- Experience using commercial kitchen equipment;
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures;
- Basic food preparation and storage experience; and
- Knowledge of proper temperatures for serving food
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Food Service Worker 3 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $56,107 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-375/00402) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.