THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Food Service Worker 1 (50%), Grade 5 (CSEA-Inst)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Food Service Worker 1 (50%) position in the New York State School for the Blind. Under the direction of the Food Service Worker 2, the incumbent of this position will assist in all food-service activities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with serving meals to the students;
- Record foods taken from dry goods and frozen inventory;
- Assist the night cook when needed;
- Mop and sweep the kitchen stock room, main storage area, and walk-in freezer;
- Keep areas neat at all times and locked when not in use;
- Restock canned foods in storeroom from main dry goods area;
- Put away orders of dry and frozen goods;
- Properly date and label food orders;
- Clear, disinfect, and reset tables;
- Wash pots, pans, dishes, and equipment and put them away;
- Discard outdated food items and take out the garbage when needed;
- Answer phones, and
- Restock items in storeroom, dining room, and kitchen, as needed.
Candidates must be physically able to perform the tasks of this position. Candidates must also be able to speak and write English.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience in completing reports, paperwork, and timesheets
- Experience with portion control techniques
- Experience using commercial kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures
- Basic food preparation and storage experience
- Knowledge of proper temperature for serving food
This will be a permanent, labor-class appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a 12-month position. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 1:00pm.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $18,358 ($36,715 prorated to 50%) based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 25, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box Number (BAT-352/00405) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.