THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Executive Director of Professional Discipline, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director of Professional Discipline for the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD). Reporting to the Deputy Commissioner, the Executive Director supervises all investigative, prosecutorial, legal, administrative and public awareness activities for OPD in connection with the Board of Regents' responsibilities to discipline licensed professionals for professional misconduct. The Executive Director manages a staff of more than 100; including attorneys, investigators and support personnel; maintains effective working relationships with professional, consumer, and law enforcement agencies; and coordinates activities relevant to the investigation and prosecution of professional misconduct complaints with the Division of Professional Licensing services and the 30+ State Boards for the Professions.
The incumbent will lead efforts to improve and reform the discipline process, with emphasis on substantially strengthening the Office of the Professions’ capacity to speedily investigate and prosecute the over 6,500 complaints of professional misconduct received annually by OPD. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide legal advice to the Deputy Commissioner, Office of the Professions staff and members of the various State Boards for the Professions;
- Supervise all aspects of the investigation and prosecution of reports of professional misconduct lodged against licensed professionals;
- Develop investigative and prosecutorial protocols for the effective management of a large, multi-site professional misconduct adjudicative workforce;
- Oversee the operation of regional offices that investigate and prosecute cases throughout the state;
- Work with the Office of Counsel, other program areas within the State Education Department, and other State agencies on a variety of matters relating to the professions;
- Respond to practice and discipline questions from professionals, attorneys and members of the public;
- Assist in the legal review and response to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests and other public information documents;
- Draft and review legal decisions and legislative proposals;
- Research and preparing well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, internal memoranda and correspondence;
- Draft and review Regents’ rules and Commissioner’s regulations, along with supporting materials;
- Oversee requests for the reconsideration of disciplinary matters previously decided by the Board of Regents, and;
- Direct, prepare or oversee, as necessary, the preparation of materials necessary for consideration by the Board of Regents for the final adjudication of disciplinary matters.
Candidates must have a law degree and be currently admitted to the bar and registered to practice within the State of New York and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience with professional regulatory, investigative, and/or prosecutorial functions for a major complex organization. Continued employment as the Executive Director is dependent upon maintaining registration to practice law within the State of New York. Failure to maintain this will result in removal from employment.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who have familiarity with the licensed professions.
This is a key management position with the New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions. This position is in the exempt class and serves at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience and will include a $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1205/21201) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.