THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Coordinator, ()
(Two Positions) (Part-time, Up to 50%)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department EAP Committee is seeking candidates for two Employee Assistance Program Coordinator positions (Capital Region and Downstate Region). The New York State Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a joint labor/management endeavor open to most employees regardless of bargaining unit or title. EAP services are confidential, voluntary, and offered at no cost to employees and their families.
The EAP Coordinators will serve as a confidential referral source for New York State employees and their family members who are experiencing personal and work-related challenges. The incumbents of these positions will report to the Office of Human Resources Management’s Director of Diversity and Access. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide confidential information and referral services to State employees and their family members;
- Develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations’ Statewide EAP representative as well as EAP Coordinators from other state agencies;
- Complete and submit a confidential monthly statistical report to Statewide EAP reflecting EAP engagement across SED;
- Attend relevant EAP Coordinator training to ensure the application of best practices, maintain an understanding of the resources available through EAP and ensure compliance with all aspects of the program;
- Maintain the integrity of the EAP program by ensuring that confidentiality is adhered to at all times and consistently demonstrate professional and ethical behavior in accordance with the EAP Coordinator role;
- Ensure that information regarding EAP service providers is available and up to date for all SED employees and identify local, community, public and private agencies and resources on an ongoing basis;
- Attend EAP Committee meetings and provide input and suggestions, as needed;
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the NYS EAP and assist with Committee functions as required; and
- Attend scheduled NYS EAP sponsored and/or recommended professional development training, conferences and workshops and assist in the implementation of agency trainings and orientations.
The desired candidates will possess and demonstrate the following qualities:
- excellent interpersonal communication, including good listening skills;
- ability to maintain confidentiality;
- demonstrated commitment to EAP program goals and ideals;
- interested in the general welfare of employees;
- possess good writing skills;
- ability to plan and organize events;
- demonstrate a history of productive relationships with colleagues, management and unions;
- flexibility and willingness to learn; and
- reliability, stability, discretion, impartiality and empathy.
NOTE: Candidates must be in good standing with the agency and have supervisory approval. Union officials, shop stewards (or the equivalent), and employees of the Office of Human Resources Management are not eligible to apply.
The EAP Coordinators will remain in their current Civil Service title and perform EAP Coordinator tasks at 50%. There is no additional compensation.
All SED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. The Statewide EAP will fully train and support the Coordinators so that they can effectively perform their responsibilities. EAP Coordinators’ duties will account for up to 50% of the selected candidate’s work schedule. The Coordinators will report to the EAP Committee Chair for their EAP assignments. The selected candidates will continue reporting to their current SED supervisor while performing their current SED job duties.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the title of the position and location (EAP Coordinator 50%) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.