THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
(Open to New York State Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions is seeking candidates to fill an Education Program Assistant 2 (EPA 2) position in the Office of the State Board of Ophthalmic Dispensing, Physical Therapy, and Podiatry. The EPA 2 will provide substantive and administrative assistance to the Executive Secretary regarding licensing and practice inquiries and Departmental guidance for the professions of podiatry, physical therapy, and ophthalmic dispensing. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review continuing education sponsor applications and licensee audits in a timely manner and assist in the development and review of applications for licensure in podiatry, physical therapy, and ophthalmic dispensing;
- Respond to inquiries from licensees and the public via letter, fax, e-mail, and telephone, regarding practice of the professions, licensure, registration, and CPE requirements in accordance with statute, regulations, rules and Department policies and procedures;
- Review applications for registration/re-registration as a Continuing Professional Education (CPE), process approval of applications in both electronic and paper-based systems, and communicate status of application reviews and registration status with applicants, board office staff and managers, and other staff in OP;
- Conduct random monthly audits of compliance with CPE requirements by individual licensees and registered CPE sponsors;
- Understand, operate, and modify the access data base designed for tracking CPE sponsor application and registration status and participate in the development and implementation of OP’s e-Licensing system;
- Interpret statutes, regulations, and rules; evaluate procedures; provide general and technical information to professional groups and entities within the Department, and training staff as necessary;
- Travel throughout the year to State Board meetings and examination sites, prepare and/or edit reports, and take minutes at the State Board meetings; and
- Supervise clerical staff members in the Board Office in daily activities related to licensure and registration in the Ophthalmic Dispensing, Physical Therapy, and Podiatry professions.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 1. Candidates must also possess a Bachelor’s degree to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1 or Agency Program Aide. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Program Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Program Assistant 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Limited in-state travel will be required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1374/20704) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.