THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates to fill an Education Program Assistant 1 position in the Ophthalmic Dispensing, Physical Therapy, and Podiatry Board Office. The incumbent of this position will perform a variety of activities in a team environment to provide support for a variety of functions connected to the licensure and regulation of professions. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform entry-level professional work to assist the Executive Secretary in conducting the work of the board office;
- Respond to questions from the public, other units of the Department, and other agencies concerning licensing and practice issues, with input from the Board and Executive Secretary;
- Review and evaluate applications (and triennial reapplications) for approval as a continuing education sponsor in the professions of ophthalmic dispensing and physical therapy with input from the Board and Executive Secretary when necessary;
- Help to prepare the agenda and board meeting informational packets; attend, participate in, and take minutes for the meetings;
- Update and maintain travel records and procedures for Board Offices; make travel arrangements; serve as the liaison between the Board office and travel unit;
- Review and approve applications for extension of training permits in ophthalmic dispensing; review and evaluate out-of-state experience for applicants for ophthalmic dispensing licensure using the alternative training and experience pathway; and
- Provide any other assistance as required by the Executive Secretary and serve as back-up for other staff as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated to SG-14 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Education Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $38,464 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 25, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1414/03741) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.