THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for an Education Program Assistant 1 (EPA 1) position in the office of the Boards for Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and the Committees for Athletic Trainers, Medical Physics, Perfusion and Pathologists’ Assistants. The incumbent of this position will perform a variety of activities in a team environment to provide support for a variety of functions connected to the licensure and regulation of the professions. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with approvals, coordination, and organization of applications for international medical students to perform clinical clerkships in New York State healthcare facilities;
- Assist in performing a variety of responsibilities related to veterinary continuing education, including sponsorship approval, conditional registrations, and audits for veterinarians and veterinary technicians;
- Coordinate requests by medical applicants for retake of the United States Medical Licensing Examinations and other professional examinations;
- Provide assistance with Board and Committee Meetings, and travel as needed;
- Reply to internal and external correspondence that includes both written and telephone inquiries;
- Answer questions relating to professional education, professional misconduct, obtaining a professional license, registration, or limited permit, and other profession-related inquiries, including questions related to the scope of practice of all professions overseen by the State Board Office;
- Complete other assignments as directed by the Executive Secretary;
- Coordinate with Board office staff and other OP offices as necessary; and
- Utilize a desktop computer with Microsoft Office applications, web/internet applications, and other various computer applications to update data on internal and external websites and databases.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated to SG-14 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Education Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. In-state travel is required and is estimated to be approximately 5% of the job duties.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $38,464 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 15, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1348/20616) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.