THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for seven Education Program Assistant 1 positions in the Office of the Professions’ Division of Professional Licensing Services (DPLS). Under the direction of an Education Credential Specialist 1, the incumbents will develop expertise in the law, regulation and policy requirements for all 54+ professions, rotate through all DPLS units as needed to reduce backlogs and provide a resource for difficult questions, and ensure that DPLS units adhere to uniform standards consistent with law, regulation and policy. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Gather, review and evaluate information required for the issuance of professional licenses and professional corporation approvals;
- Develop and update training materials and train staff to perform required job duties;
- Assist lower level staff in responding to questions and determining appropriate pathways for complex corporation and licensing cases;
- Work with external exam vendors and ITS to upload accurate exam scores and create eligibility files;
- Research internal and external resources to resolve complex licensing/Professional Corporation issues;
- Respond to difficult or complex questions via phone and e-mail;
- Perform final review of application documentation prior to issuance of licensure/Professional Corporation approval;
- Provide advice to and otherwise assist supervisors in planning, organizing, scheduling, process improvement, and coordinating work operations and work procedures;
- Implement quality control measures to ensure that licenses are issued in accordance with all laws/regulations;
- Provide subject matter expertise on licensure issues for other areas of the department; and
- Set up processes and develop forms for new professions in consultation with key stakeholders.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Education Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
The following will be permanent appointments: OP-1272, OP-1271, OP-1270, OP-1267, and OP-1266. OP-1264 will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $38,464 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by January 29, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (See list below) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
OP-1267/00472 and 00473