THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking to fill an Education Program Assistant 1 (EPA 1) position in the State Board for Public Accountancy and Certified Shorthand Reporting. The incumbent of this position will perform a variety of activities in a team environment to provide support for a variety of functions connected to the licensure and regulation of professions. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and evaluate pre- and post- licensure applications and renewals utilizing on-line renewal database (COGNOS), OP main computer system (BRIDGE), HP Records Manager, several external databases and various web sites;
- Reply and provide guidance to internal and external correspondence that includes both written and telephone inquiries;
- Participate in the review, evaluation, and administration of continuing education requirements for certified public accountants, including random audits;
- Provide guidance and support to clerical staff by using laws, regulations and policies to make decisions on non-routine questions;
- Maintain and update BRIDGE and HP Records Manager files;
- Supervise and train lower-level staff;
- Coordinate with Board office staff and OP’s offices as necessary; and
- Utilize various computer applications to update data on internal and external websites and databases.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Education Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $38,464 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 18, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1221/20753) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.