THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee, SG-NS (Equated to SG-11)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Professions is seeking candidates for an Education Program Assistant 1 position in the Engineering, Geology, Land Surveying and Interior Design Board Office. The incumbent of this position will perform activities in a team environment to provide support for a variety of functions connected to the licensure and regulation of professions. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide guidance and reply to internal and external correspondence, including written and telephone inquiries;
• Participate in the review, evaluation, and administration of licensure applications and limited permits, including requests for interim practice;
• Utilize existing access databases, Office of the Professions main computer system, Total Record Information Management (TRIM) and e-licensing system;
• Participate in the review, evaluation, and administration of continuing education requirements for engineers, geologists, and land surveyors;
• Provide guidance and support to clerical staff by referencing laws, rules, and regulations and policies to make decisions on non-routine questions;
• Maintain and update licensure access database, main computer system, TRIM and e-licensing system;
• Coordinate with Board Members and OP’s offices as necessary;
• Use various computer applications to update data on internal and external websites and databases; and
• Supervise lower level staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for these titles, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service law to Education Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated to SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Travel within New York State to conduct Board Office business is required.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $38,464 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $58,028 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 27, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1134) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.