THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Program Assistant 1, Grade 14 (PEF)
Education Trainee 1, SG-NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Education Program Assistant 1 position in the Office of Educational Management Services. This Office is responsible for the collection and reporting of Smart Schools Investment Plans and other financial and budget data for school districts within New York State. The incumbent of this position will use organizational and analytical skills to gather data that will assist with the identification and advancement of best practices in school district financial management. Under the direction of an Education Finance Specialist, the incumbent will support the effort to clarify school district resource allocation decisions and focus more of the available resources on the core instructional practices to improve student results. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review submitted Smart Schools Investment Plans for completion and consistency with the law and guidance;
- Assist with research and analysis across specific programs to enable districts to allocate resources effectively and ensure that every available dollar is used to further student achievement in this resource-constrained environment;
- Assist with the review of proposed legislation and other SED initiatives to determine effects on school district fiscal outcomes;
- Provide assistance to staff within the Office of Educational Management Services as they assist school districts in aligning their management decisions with established best practices;
- Prepare reports and correspondence for the Office of Educational Management Services;
- Assist Education Finance Specialists with maintaining financial data and other critical records; and
- Provide support for the development of training programs for professional staff of the Department and of school districts regarding the Smart School Investment Plans.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Program Assistant 1.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Program Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Trainee: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for transfer to Education Trainee if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-9 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
The salary listed above applies to candidates appointed to Education Program Assistant 1, SG-14. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Education Trainee 1 starts at $37,710 and for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Transfer candidates to Education Trainee and appointees from the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the grade 14 salary level
*Leads to a maximum salary of $56,888 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 22, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1773) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.