THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 3, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 3 position in the System to Track and Account for Children (STAC) and Medicaid Unit. This Unit is responsible for processing school age and preschool requests for Commissioner’s approval for reimbursement supporting approximately $2.5 billion in State funds distributed annually to school districts and counties in support of special education programs and other programs serving New York State, as well as assisting school districts and counties in accessing federal (Medicaid) funding through the School Supportive Health Services Program (SSHSP). Under the direction of the Unit Director, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for overseeing technical support and training to local education agencies on the SSHSP, and other reimbursement programs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as the Department’s liaison to the New York State Department of Health (DOH), the lead State agency for school age and preschool Medicaid services;
- Manage the Department’s SSHSP support contracts and develop SSHSP policy with DOH;
- Coordinate and assist in the annual processing of approximately 270,000 requests for reimbursement approval/claims for school age and preschool placements and for students placed by other state agencies;
- Provide technical assistance in accordance with SED policy, on special education and Medicaid policy issues from school district, municipality officials, and other parties;
- Prepare reports and provide data as requested, using a variety of software, to school districts, municipalities, state agencies, and various offices of SED;
- Monitor, review and analyze mainframe data and prepare detailed, high-level analyses on fiscal impacts and implications for discussions with the Unit Director;
- Develop Unit budgets and cash flow projections, and provide the Unit Director with relevant information and recommendations regarding short-term and long-term decision making;
- Review proposed and existing legislation/regulation and other SED initiatives;
- Develop, schedule and conduct technical training sessions at regional meetings and conferences/seminars/webinars;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and procedures; and
- Supervise professional and support staff, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 3.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 3: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Auditor, Associate Internal Auditor, Contract Management Specialist 2, Education Finance Specialist 2, Supervising Accountant or Supervising Budgeting Analyst.
Preference may be given to candidates who possess strong computer, analytical, reporting, and management skills.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position will require occasional overnight travel.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 2, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-429/53112) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.