THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the Office of Early Learning (OEL). This Office provides oversight and technical support to school districts in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies related to educating students in Prekindergarten to third grade that are aligned with the NYS Board of Regents Early Childhood Policy. The Office works closely with parents, early care and education agencies, schools, state agencies and community advocates to coordinate programs and resources, with the goal of making New York’s early learning system as comprehensive and seamless as possible. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, oversee, and implement a process to provide fiscal monitoring to districts who receive Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) and Statewide Universal Full-Day Prekindergarten (SUFDPK) funding, ensuring that funds are allocated effectively and consistent with State laws;
- Assist with development and implementation of Requests for Proposals and grants related to UPK and SUFDPK funding;
- Consult with NYSED staff regarding the submission of budgets documents for all school districts utilizing UPK and SUFDPK funding;
- Provide technical assistance and fiscal expertise to internal and external stakeholders;
- Review, evaluate and monitor all budgets in relation to allowable expenditures for both UPK and SUFDPK funding;
- Assist with the development of briefing materials for senior leadership; and
- Supervise, mentor, and train professional staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c services as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the following titles: Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts & Systems), Auditor 2, Internal Auditor 2, Contract Management Specialist 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1, Senior Accountant or Senior Budgeting Analyst. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position will require up to 20% Statewide travel.
*Leads to a salary of $100,342 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 5, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2241/65485) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.