THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
Open to current NYS Employees only
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the State Office for Religious and Independent Schools. This Office serves the needs of students in over 1,800 state-recognized nonpublic schools and provides on-site school visits, opportunities for curriculum improvement and professional development activities, provides technical assistance and support, and oversees federal and State aid functions for nonpublic schools. This Office incorporates the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) mandated Ombudsman to ensure compliance with the equitable services requirements of the federal law. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, oversee and monitor the allocation process for respective program areas and nonpublic schools;
- Ensure funds are allocated effectively and consistent with federal and State laws;
- Assist with implementation of ESSA requirements related to nonpublic schools, including the development of fiscal-related protocols for field monitoring;
- Assist with development and implementation of Requests For Proposals and grants for services provided to nonpublic schools;
- Consult with Department staff to refine data and advise on budget matters;
- Provide technical assistance and fiscal expertise to Department staff and external stakeholders;
- Review, evaluate and monitor the business processes for respective program areas and nonpublic schools;
- Assist with the development of briefing materials for the Commissioner and senior leadership; and
- Supervise, mentor and train subordinate professional and clerical staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts & Systems), Auditor 2, Contract Management Specialist 2, Internal Auditor 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1, Senior Accountant, or Senior Budgeting Analyst. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $98,372 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 4, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-874/04105) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.