THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the Office of Grants Finance. This office works with State Education Department offices to administer State and federal grant programs. This Office is responsible for the financial management of grants and ensuring that grant-funded activities are planned and implemented appropriately. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate the financial processing of grants and grant contract payments in the Statewide Financial System (SFS);
- Serve as liaison to program offices that manage State and/or federal grant programs and provide technical assistance to Department and local agency staff by using available resources;
- Monitor workflow, funding availability, pre-encumbrance and encumbrance status, and respond to special requests using Café/Project Tracking System, the SFS and other data sources, as needed;
- Monitor interest liability and process payments, as applicable;
- Assist with the assembly and maintenance of control documents for each funded program including appropriations, period of availability, and lapse/liquidation dates;
- Assist with the creation and verification of payee information of vendors in SEDREF and/or the Statewide Financial System (SFS);
- Conduct fiscal data analysis and oversee the completion of federal reporting, as required, under the Federal Funding and Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA) and develop responses to data requests, as needed; and
- Supervise lower-level Education Finance Specialists.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Education Finance Specialist 2 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts & Systems), Auditor 2, Internal Auditor 2, Contract Management Specialist 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1, Senior Accountant or Senior Budgeting Analyst. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Finance Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent or a temporary provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 1, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-492/60064) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.