THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the System to Track and Account for Children (STAC) and Medicaid Unit. This Unit is responsible for processing school age and preschool requests for Commissioner’s approval for reimbursement supporting approximately $2.5 billion in State funds distributed annually to school districts and counties in support of special education programs and other programs serving New York State. This Unit also assists school districts and counties in accessing federal (Medicaid) funding. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with the annual processing of approximately 270,000 requests for reimbursement approval/claims for school age and preschool placements;
- Oversee Special Education and Medicaid grant and contract processing;
- Provide technical assistance to stakeholders;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of unit policies and procedures;
- Monitor and conduct reviews of Medicaid documentation in school districts and counties;
- Oversee Department contractors to ensure that services, training, and related correspondence are provided timely and efficiently;
- Prepare reports and provide data to school districts, municipalities, the Division of the Budget, other State agencies, and various Department offices, as requested;
- Schedule, develop and conduct STAC and Medicaid program related technical training programs at regional meetings and conferences for school districts and county representatives; and
- Supervise a team of lower level professional and support staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Education Finance Specialist 2 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts & Systems), Auditor 2, Internal Auditor 2, Contract Management Specialist 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Occasional overnight travel required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 20, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-475/60065) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.