THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 2 position in the Office of State Aid. This office is responsible for the calculation, payment, audit and projection of approximately $27 billion in State funds, which are distributed to school districts annually in support of public, elementary, and secondary education in New York State. The incumbent will calculate and establish the payment schedules for, and supervise the payment of, the annual State Aid claims, to ensure that all payments are made in compliance with governing laws, rules and regulations. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise staff in the Payment Unit;
- Perform appropriate tests, reviews, reconciliations and evaluations prior to authorizing payment to ensure that transactions are processed and accounted for properly;
- Supervise the maintenance of accounting systems and prepare appropriation and cash flow reports which includes coordination of payments made from multiple state appropriations by several other offices within NYSED;
- Assist in the development and implementation of internal controls and practices befitting a $27 billion payment operation in a State agency, and respond effectively to State Comptrollers’ and independent auditors’ inquiries regarding State Aid payments and internal controls;
- Assist in the review of new laws, rules and regulations and determination of appropriate action related to State Aid payments;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, Board of Cooperative Education Services (BOCES), NYSED’s Bureau of Budget Coordination, the State Comptroller and others regarding district and BOCES payment schedules, payment calculations, and accounting records used in determining eligibility for certain payment-related provisions;
- Participate in activities related to the redesign of State Aid payment and accounting systems, including incorporation of portions of the system into the State Aid Management System (SAMS) and the utilization and further development of the new Statewide Financial System (SFS); and
- Respond to requests for information by preparing data queries and producing financial reports.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Education Finance Specialist 2 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant, Associate Accountant (State Accounts & Systems), Auditor 2, Internal Auditor 2, Contract Management Specialist 2, Management Specialist 2, or Program Research Specialist 3 (Economics Finance).
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 3, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-474/66203) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.