THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Chief Financial Officer is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 1 position in the Office of Grants Finance. This office works with NYSED to administer State and federal grant programs. This Office is also responsible for the financial management of grants and ensuring that grant-funded activities are planned and implemented appropriately. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with the financial processing of grants and grant contract transactions in the Statewide Financial System (SFS);
- Manage new and existing grants, and grant-funded activities through the approval and payment process;
- Process fiscal transactions in Department’s grant payment system (CAFÉ);
- Collaborate with the Office of Information Technology Services on routine maintenance of the CAFÉ system and reports;
- Compile statistics regarding office workload to Unit Manager;
- Assist with the assembly and maintenance of control documents for each funded program including appropriations, period of availability, and lapse/liquidation dates;
- Assist with meeting federal reporting requirements on grants and grant-funded activities, as required, under the Federal Funding and Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA);
- Provide technical assistance to Department and local agency staff by using available resources;
- Perform other duties, as assigned; and
- Supervise a team of Office Assistants.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list, the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Select Titles eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) eligible list.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist 1, SG-18. The salary for candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 30, 2021 to OMSJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-491/04122) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.