THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 1 position in the Office of Grants and Finance. This office works with State Education Department (SED) offices to administer State and federal grant programs. This Office is responsible for the financial management of grants and ensuring that grant-funded activities are planned and implemented appropriately. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage new and existing grants, and grant-funded activities through the approval and payment process;
- Assist with the financial processing of grants and grant contract payments in the Statewide Financial System (SFS);
- Act as liaison to Program Offices to manage funds for State and federal programs;
- Monitor workflow, funding availability, pre-encumbrance and encumbrance status, and respond to special requests using Café/Project Tracking System, the SFS and other data sources, as needed;
- Develop tables, charts, spreadsheets, and reports as needed by using various reporting tools to extract and compile data related to grants and grant-funded activities from multiple sources;
- Provide technical assistance to Department and local agency staff by using available resources;
- Monitor interest liability and process payments, as applicable;
- Assist with the assembly and maintenance of control documents for each funded program including appropriations, period of availability, and lapse/liquidation dates; and
- Assist with meeting federal reporting requirements on grants and grant-funded activities, as required, under the Federal Funding and Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA).
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list, the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Select Titles eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist 1, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 5, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-442/64419) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.