THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for an Education Finance Specialist 1 position in the System to Track and Account for Children (STAC) and Medicaid Unit. This Unit is responsible for the collection and processing of preschool and school age requests for Commissioner’s approval for reimbursement supporting approximately $2.5 billion in State funds distributed annually to school districts and counties in support of special education programs and other programs serving New York State. This Unit also assists school districts and counties in accessing federal (Medicaid) funding. Under the direct supervision of an Education Finance Specialist 2, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for providing support and training to local education agencies on various reimbursement programs, including Medicaid, and performing various tasks related to the review and processing of claims for reimbursement. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate daily processing of preschool and school age reimbursement requests and claims;
- Coordinate scheduled reimbursement payments;
- Prepare reports using a variety of software tools for transmission to various offices within school districts and municipalities, the Division of the Budget, other NY State agencies and other NYSED offices, including the Bureau of Budget Coordination, Fiscal Management, State Aid, Office of Counsel, and Rate-Setting;
- Maintain databases relating to preschool, school age and Medicaid functions;
- Develop, schedule and conduct technical training programs at regional meetings and conferences for school district and county representatives regarding various components of the STAC and Medicaid programs;
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that improve customer service, maintain and enhance internal controls, and enhance reimbursement processing to ensure payments are timely and accurate;
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of preschool, school age and Medicaid data;
- Participate in the development of Unit training programs, curricula, and guidance documents;
- Respond to requests for technical assistance from school district and county officials and provide information to assist in the resolution of policy issues; and
- Supervise staff, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list, the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Select Titles eligible list may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist 1, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 28, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-441/04121) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.